Thursday 31 March 2011

Two days in Chester

 Caxton moored in Telford Basin Chester. L-R Caxton, Critical Point, Enchantress and Matilda Rose, dry dock on the right of the photo.

Yesterday morning Jill and myself managed to get the dogs walked before the heavens opened late morning.  I stayed closeted aboard Caxton tending a fire and reading my book, the last of the 'books awaiting to be read store' before I start using my Kindle reader. In the afternoon the clouds cleared and I ventured back into the City to have another look around.
 The Library but look below at what the building originally was built for......

 I remember BMC, British Motorcar Corporation, later British Leyland, using the name Westminster on their 'badge motors'.
 Typical, colonnaded shopping streets in Chester

 Northgate, this is a Georgian replacement for the old medieval gate that had also been the City gaol, where prisoners were housed in dungeon cells cut out of the sandstone.
 and where they crossed this bridge that crosses the canal below, the Bridge of Sighs, directly from the gaol to visit the chapel of the Blue Coat Hospital for their last rites before execution..........apparently.
Blue Coat Hospital, built as a school.

No comments: